But when he was strong, he grew proud, to his destruction.
2 Chronicles 26:16
Life over the last 8 months has definitely humbled me. The crazy part is I didn’t even know I needed to be humbled! But as I look back over the last few years, I realize that I really was getting “strong” and felt like I was in control of a lot of my life. My kids were great, my marriage was great, I worked part time at my favorite job of all time, my students were fantastic, my neighbor constantly was there to encourage and point me to the Lord, we had plenty of friends, Brent and I were able to do Crossfit together,….the list could go on.
Overall, I definitely felt “in control” of life…and I liked it.
Since moving, all of that control has been stripped right out of my hands….and it hurt….a lot.
Then I read about King Uzziah this morning. He served God wholeheartedly and completely devoted Himself to the Lord; Until he got strong and successful and began to reap the benefits of God blessing him. Then he began to take control himself and became proud. This led to him becoming angry at the priests who tried to point him back to God’s rules. His anger in his heart resulted in God striking him with leprosy. I’m pretty sure while he sat in isolation for the rest of his life, his pride was shattered, his strength was taken, and he was again able to be dependent on the Lord.
I’m grateful I don’t have to be struck with leprosy to be reminded that strength and control over life isn’t always a good thing. I’m thankful that God loves me enough to humble me greatly and strip me of all things so that I can rely on Him completely. I truly am grateful for the 8 months of turmoil that has keep me dependent on the Lord.
16. Thankful for weakness
17. Thankful God is living and active and continually speaks to me and draws me near to Him
18. Thankful I can trust my kids to God and He will protect them and draw them to Himself
19. Thankful for the sun shining through the gym window yesterday
20. Thankful for our Y membership
21. Thankful to be healthy enough to start another Warriorfit session
22. Thankful for a gracious principal that desires for the teachers to succeed
23. Thankful for good students
24. Thankful for the teacher who introduced me to Socratic Seminars 10 years ago
25. Thankful for afternoons spent outside enjoying the fall weather
26. Thankful that God speaks through His Word
27.Thankful for good coffee
28. Thankful for a few minutes alone yesterday
29. Thankful for a husband who will help me fold all the laundry
30. Thankful for a family who is so grateful and appreciates meals I prepare
31. Thankful for Heavenly Homemakers recipies
32. Thankful for Brent making coffee every morning
33. Thankful for the quiet of the 5:00am hour
34. Thankful for random spottings and quick chats with friends
35. Thankful for my sister who will take time to encourage me, love me where I’m at, not try to change me, but simply remind me of truth.